Friday, April 6, 2012

My Rights? My God? (Wells)

One of the resources AIM sent for Karen and I to read was this book "My Rights? My God?" by Robin Wells. It was a decent book... nothing spectacular, but decent.

On page 16 he lists the following 9 "Myths of Missions". I thought they were well spoken myths.

- Christian work is for people who can't get into the career they want
- Everyone who wants to share their faith should be a pastor or a missionary
- You have to be stinking rich to go on summer programmes
- Being interested in world missions is for fanatics, not for the rest of us
- If you have a good skill, you shouldn't waste it overseas
- If you're really converted, you won't go into business. You'll be a full-time evangelist.
- Missions damages people's cultures
- We have no right to tell people that they should believe in Christ
- Missions is only for single people

Then on page 18 he states very clearly

There is no sense in which it is a 'more spiritual' calling to work overseas.

Amen? AMEN!!!!

Wells shares a story about George Whitefield, one of the great preachers in the 18th century spiritual awakening in the UK and USA. Whitefield crossed the Atlantic Ocean thirteen times, in a sailing ship, and the activist in him seized the opportunity of preaching to everyone on board. But at one point after reading and writing, he records in his journal:

"I have learned that the reaper is not wasting his time when he is whetting his scythe." - G. Whitefield (pg 77)

God help me rest and remind me that its not wasting time when I read and write. It's whetting my scythe!

Listen to this call:

Someone must go. If everyone, through the centuries, had listened to the reasons for not going, the church would still be confined to the countries around the Eastern Mediterranean! (pg 86)

But what about the risks? How can we respond to people who say that going on missions isn't safe... Wells advises with the following:

If you stay at home you can't be sure of escaping accidents, disease or violence; but if you're called to live in one of the developing countries you do increase your risks. But, I say again, remember that these tragic incidents are unusual; we shouldn't become paralysed by fear. (pg 97)

Should we above all else protect our children in a safe environment, and give them the best education? If this is our conclusion, then we should stay at home. Yet we are ignoring the gospel reasons for going. And we are also ignoring the fact there is no sure way of avoiding all risk while we are in this world. On top of this, we are discounting the significant benefits that our children can gain through the experience. (pg 133)

YES - life is about more than just a safe environment and the best education! Christ's love compels us to share the gospel. What a privilege!

I'll close with this quote, restated from the final chapter of Mabel Williamson's book "Have We No Rights?"

All that He takes I will give;
All that He gives I will take;
He is my only right!
Everything else fades away before Him.
I have full right to Him;
May He have full right to me! (pg 142)

No comments: