Saturday, November 16, 2013

Issues Facing Christians In Sudan Today (Salter)

I read this book that was in the GTC Library.  Its a book with 36 short chapters/essays written by various Christian leaders in Sudan.  The book was compiled and edited by Colin Salter.   The book was written in 2009 (prior to South Sudan's independence) so whenever the word "Sudan" is used its referring to Sudan and South Sudan (because at the time this book was written it was still one country).

I didn't underline a lot of quotes but I did appreciate learning about various customs.  I also enjoyed "getting to know" some of these godly Sudanese men who I've heard about but I've never met.  Through reading some of their writing I felt like I was able to get a glimpse into their lives.

The best chapter (in my opinion) was titled "Mission Work in Sudan Must Be Supported and Carried Out by the Sudanese".  In this chapter (written by Moses Angupale Kelili, a Pentecostal church leader) the author outlines the necessity of Sudanese people taking the gospel to their own people.  Here are some quotes:

Stats from the Global Status of Evangelical Christianity in April 2008 state that unreached people groups in Sudan are 234 with a population of 42,980,973. (pg 181)

There is a need for a paradigm shift of mission work in Sudan.  The best strategy is to involve the Sudanese themselves.  Sudanese must take the lead in the evangelisation of the whole country of Sudan. (pg 182)

The responsibility to run all the church programmes, including sending out missioners to the unreached people groups, should be given to and taken by indigenous Sudanese people. (pg 185)

No comments: