Sunday, September 13, 2009

Experiencing God (Henry Blackaby)

I figured I should finish up my book and send out a summary before exams hit...so that’s what I did! I started “Experiencing God” by Henry Blackaby a while ago and I picked it up off and on. It’s a “National Best-Seller with over 4 000 000 sold” and I thought it was really good, and as you’ll see below it had some great, short, sweet one line Biblical truths!! I trust that each of you are growing to know our Lord and Saviour more and more and experiencing Him in a more intimate way with each passing day! “We love Him, because He first loved us!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here’s a bit of a quote I thought I’d share... Henry Blackaby is a solid man!

He has served as the president of the Canadian Baptist Theological College and Canadian Southern Baptist Conference. – pg 307

Because of the effect of Experiencing God in so many people’s lives, I have regularly been asked to speak to the national and global leadership of Focus on the Family, Campus Crusade, and nearly all of the various national prayer organizations – pg xviii

So here we go:

You cannot depend on human traditions, your experience, or the experience of others to be accurate on God’s will and ways. Experience and traditions must always be examined against the teaching of Scriptures. – pg 6

I said, “Father, don’t ever let me look at circumstances and question Your love for me. Your love for me was settled on the cross. That has never changed and will never change for me.” – pg 16

God Himself pursues a love relationship with you. He is the One who takes the initiative to bring you into this kind of relationship. – pg 79

Jesus said to those who were His disciples: “You did not choose Me, but I chose you... You are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world” (John 15:16,19). Didn’t Peter choose to follow Jesus? No. Jesus chose Peter. Peter responded to the invitation of God. God took the initiative. – pg 87

God did not create you for time; He created you for eternity. – pg 89

You never find God asking persons to dream up what they want to do for Him...The pattern in the Scripture is that we submit ourselves to God and we wait until God shows us what He is about to do, or we watch to see what God is doing around us and join Him. – pg 104

Jesus is the head over the body, the church. Oh, that we would discover the difference when we let God be the Head of that body. He will accomplish more in six months through a people yielded to Him than we could do in sixty years without Him. – pg 105

Understanding what God is about to do where you are is more important than telling God what you want to do for Him. – pg 107

God is far more interested in accomplishing His kingdom purposes than you are. – pg 117

I love that one!!! God is in control!!! He’s got a way bigger and better plan than I could ever dream up or imagine... and its so good to know that its all gonna be accomplished!

If you are not keeping a spiritual journal or diary, you need to. – pg 172

Blackaby just lays this one out!!! Its not really a command from the Bible but its definitely something I’d strongly encourage too!

I never deny any experience that a person has had, but I always reserve the right to interpret it according to what I understand in the Scripture. – pg 187

In making a decision, the greatest difficulty may not be in choosing between good and bad, but in choosing between good and best. – pg 196

Until you are ready to make any adjustment necessary to follow and obey what God has said, you will be of little use to God. – pg 236

Most of our churches have not learned how to pray together. The greatest untapped resource that I know of is the united prayer of God’s people. – pg 259

[In Acts 16:6-10 we see that] God, not Paul, was going to reach the Gentiles. – pg 267

I don’t know why... but when I read this last night I underlined it reminding myself once again that God is the One who was and is reaching the Gentiles! Not me, you or Paul, but God! :)

You are completely dependent on God for the knowledge and the ability to accomplish His purposes. – pg 271

Here’s a few quotes at the end of the book by a couple other godly men:

It’s better to be still and do nothing with God than to be busy and do much without Him. – Max Lucado

Whenever I enter a contract with anyone, they usually ask me to sign on the bottom line. What that usually means is that I have agreed to the terms and conditions of the contract. Like the contractor, we too often give God a full page of activities we are going to do for Him and ask Him to sign off on it. Instead, God gives us a blank sheet of paper for us to sign on the bottom line, demonstrating our trust in Him and His will for our lives. The question is not “Will God sign off on what we want to do?” but rather “Will we trust God to do what He wants done?” – Tony Evans

And I’ll close with this quote... I want to encourage you all, wherever you’re at, to set “faith barriers” (even for this summer). Think of something that you know you can’t accomplish without the intervention of God... write it down, pray about it and watch what God does!

Believers never outgrow the experience of being scared half to death by the assignments God gives them. But that is His loving way of leading you closer to Him – always putting your next assignment just out of reach, requiring a dimension of faith that lies just beyond the last point of your trusting. – pg 300

No comments: