Sunday, September 13, 2009

Tentmaking and Missions

“The thoughts of David Heska on the morning of Saturday, August 5, 2006."

This short paper is meant as a summary of some of the passages in Scripture I have come across as I’ve briefly studied the topic of “Tentmaking and Missions”.

Let me beginning with our Lord’s command and Great Commission:

Matthew 28:18-20

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

With these “marching orders”, great men and women of the faith throughout the past 2000 years have set out to take the gospel to the ends of the earth.

I will begin by looking at the first distinction in the New Testament where men devoted their attention to ministry.

Acts 6:2-4

So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, "It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables. Brothers, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word."

It can be seen from this passage that some people in the church are called to delegate tasks to others and give their attention to prayer and the ministry of the word.

But how we’re these men paid?

Acts 20:34-35

You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions. In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'

Acts 18:3-5

Paul went to see them, and because he was a tentmaker as they were, he stayed and worked with them. Every Sabbath he reasoned in the synagogue, trying to persuade Jews and Greeks. When Silas and Timothy came from Macedonia, Paul devoted himself exclusively to preaching, testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ.

These two passages state that Paul was a “tentmaker” and that he supplied his “own needs”. There was a time in Paul’s ministry when he did not want to be a burden to the people he was ministering too so he had his own job. In countries I have heard of missionaries who do work, so that people do not question where their income is coming from.

However, we should not miss the point of Acts 18:5 when God’s Word states that Paul eventually devoted himself “exclusively” (or “completely” [NASB]) to preaching.

Luke 8:1-3

After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him, and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; Joanna the wife of Cuza, the manager of Herod's household; Susanna; and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means.

This passage outlines that Jesus’ ministry was support by some of the gifts of these women. If Jesus received gifts, then why should not his servants?

2 Corinthians 11:8-9

I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you. And when I was with you and needed something, I was not a burden to anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied what I needed. I have kept myself from being a burden to you in any way, and will continue to do so.

Philippians 4:14-19

Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid again and again when I was in need. Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to your account. I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

Was Paul a missionary supported by local churches and individuals? You bet he was!

Acts 14:26-28

From Attalia they sailed back to Antioch, where they had been committed to the grace of God for the work they had now completed. On arriving there, they gathered the church together and reported all that God had done through them and how he had opened the door of faith to the Gentiles. And they stayed there a long time with the disciples.

Acts 21:19

When we arrived at Jerusalem, the brothers received us warmly. The next day Paul and the rest of us went to see James, and all the elders were present. Paul greeted them and reported in detail what God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry.

Something that I believe we as university students need to improve upon is the speed at which we thank our supporters and report back to them the details of “what God has done”. Both in Acts 14 and Acts 21 Paul arrives at a church and “on arriving there” or “the next day” he gives a report. It saddens me to think that some of our supporters did not receive any sort of “summary/recap” until a month after a 6 week summer project was completed. I believe I have a “biblical basis” for saying that these summaries should be done as soon as possible.

Numbers 18:21-24

"I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the Tent of Meeting. From now on the Israelites must not go near the Tent of Meeting, or they will bear the consequences of their sin and will die. It is the Levites who are to do the work at the Tent of Meeting and bear the responsibility for offenses against it. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. They will receive no inheritance among the Israelites. Instead, I give to the Levites as their inheritance the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the LORD.

Galatians 6:6

Anyone who receives instruction in the word must share all good things with his instructor.

These two passages clearly teach that those who have been called by God to serve in the Tent of Meeting, or in the church, or as pastors/teachers on the radio etc, should be supported by the people who hear their teaching. In the Old Testament, God used the gifts given to him to support workers in the local assembly, and the same principle applies today.

Keep pressing on for him guys! Until all know!

No comments: