Sunday, September 13, 2009

Through Gates of Splendor (Elisabeth Elliot)

from an email October 27, 2008

The complimentary book to this "Shadow of the Almighty" has deeply impacted my life . As I read more about the lives of the five men who were martyred missionaries (Jim Elliot, Nate Saint, Ed McCully, Pete Fleming and Roger Youderian) I was challenged to live fully for Christ.

In the book Jim Elliot says

"Wherever you are be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be in the will of God" (pg 20)

I continue to make this one of my mottos. "Wherever you are, be all there" :)

And as you read these 3 quotes below from the men, you can feel the pulse of their hearts. These guys were warriors for Christ.

"I am longing now to reach the Aucas if God gives me the honor of proclaiming the Name among them... I would gladly give my life for that tribe if only to see an assembly of those proud, clever, smart people gathering around to honor the Son" – Pete Fleming (pg 26)

"I have one desire now – to live a life of reckless abandon for the Lord, putting all my energy and strength into it." - Ed McCully (pg 51)

"May the praise be His, and may it be that some Auca, clothed in righteousness of Jesus Christ, will be with us as we lift our voices in praise before His throne" – Nate Saint (pg 145)

They definately had a proper view of Heaven. As the place where one day, men, women, and children, from EVERY tribe, tongue and nation will bow before the King of kings and Lord of lords.

No comments: